Dare To Dream
"The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do."
But beware, there is a huge difference between dreaming and having goals. Dreams are great, but they are only a product of your imagination. Not until you take action and turn your dream into a concrete goal, will it be more than a beautiful castle built in the air. Goals, on the other hand, are achievable because they are always followed by an action so if you have a great vision, but fail to take action, it will remain just a dream. What a shame. And what a waste.
Setting SMART Business Goals
What’s the best way of setting business goals? This has been heavily debated, but in 1981 George T. Doran published an article introducing what he called S.M.A.R.T. goals. Today the acronym typically stands for:
- Specific: target a specific area where you need to change
- Measurable: you must quantify or at least suggest an indicator of progress
- Achievable: stretch goals are good, but they must still be (almost) achievable
- Relevant: if completing a goal doesn’t lead you in the right direction then it’s the wrong goal
- Time-bound: without a concrete deadline you risk never achieving your goal
Make sure your goals are S.M.A.R.T. before you start thinking about action plans to achieve the goals. If not, it’s too easy to be led astray.
Setting big, bold and breathtaking business goals for your company is a key part of our 8-step Mission to Mars growth concept. For further insight into how to dream big and achieve your business goals please download our free Mission to Mars whitepaper by clicking below: